District Commissioner: Wick Smith, (925) 899-5997, firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome back. For most units the start of school seems like the start of the Scouting year. For unit commissioners this is probably the time you are the busiest. What are some of the things you should focus on with your units?
1) Be sure that new members are being recruited. Cub Scout packs in paticular should be bringing in new Tiger cubs and their parents and helping them form dens.
2) Recharters are just around the corner and all youth facing leaders need to be trained. Be sure that you identify all leaders that need training and make them aware of the training opportunities. For positions that need classroom or outdoor training, like ASM, SM, and Venture Crew Advisor, getting the available training dates to unit leaders is critical.
3) Help your units review their calendar for the year. Be sure they are aware of all the district and council events.
4) Make sure your unit leaders are coming to the Roundtable meetings. Remember they are at the LDS Church in Moraga on Via Granada. They are on the 4th Wed. of the month at 7:30 p.m.
5) Be sure you are entering your unit visits in the Unit Visitation Tracking System.
Wick Smith, District Commissioner
Last Month's Announcements:
A lot of people think that summer is the time that Scouting takes a break, but as experienced Scouters you know that this is not the case for many of the best units. Be sure that you help your Scout Troops plan for summer camp and high adventure. The new Tour Plan that was shown at our last roundtable is going to cause some confusion and unit leaders will need to complete it to go on those summer outings. Commissioners should view the video at http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/demotourplanvideo.aspx and be prepared to help unit leaders succeed. Cub leaders should also be sure and get their dens signed up for day camp.
Commissioners should then work with unit leaders to record all of the summer camping activity for the report due in September. Also be sure and have your unit leaders come to the August 29th kickoff BBQ.
Finally, if you have not entered your visits in the Unit Visitation Tracking System, please contact me directly for instructions. Our ability to qualify as a Gold level district depends on each commissioner entering their visits.
Plan on having a great Scouting Summer!